You are being redirected - hold on tight!

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Books: David Foster Wallace Dead of Suicide - Doesn't Leave 8,000 Word Note with Footnotes



Hyper-referential post-modern author David Foster Wallace ended his own life this weekend. Best known for his half-ton Pynchon in a blender Infinite Jest he also wrote a number of short story collections and essays. My own favorite is one my wife had to entice me to read, A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again an essay collection that suggested that new journalism and non fiction were perhaps the richest vein in Wallace's repertoire.

Though I found Infinite Jest relatively impenetrable it did have some very funny passages and wonderful turns of phrase as did all of his published writing. It also helped to usher in, for better or worse, the McSweeney's phase of literary stardom with fellow writers Dave Eggers, Nick Hornby, Jonathan Lethem, and Michael Chabon among others.

No comments: